Monday, June 21, 2010

FAVES: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Welcome to a segment that I’m going to call Faves. In these posts, I will discuss my favorite shows (which I will likely reference throughout my discussions) and why I think they are shining examples of TV Lit.

Of course the best place to start is with Buffy. If you know me, you know that I adore pretty much anything helmed by Joss Whedon. And the first, best example of his work is the wonderful show Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Like many people out there, I was initially put off by the title of this show. Vampire Slayer? How lame! And then I got to college, and had my eyes opened by The Enlightened crowd (especially by Hayley of The Daily Doyle and Phil of Instaflicka). I began with some of the quintessential episodes (“Hush,” “Once More with Feeling,” etc) then once I was hooked I started at the start and watched the whole series (thanks to the internet, the library, and Netflix). Now I own all seven seasons, and I have to admit I’ve seen most (possibly all) episodes more than once.

So what makes a show with such a [silly] premise so very wonderful? Well first, it satisfies all of the Critical Elements of Literature. With flying, dazzling color. Yes, there is a monster of the week. But there are also amazing character arcs through seasons and through the series. There are amazingly engaging storylines which have clearly been mapped out far in advance, so that there is a high degree of consistency that other shows simply can’t match. There is also a wonderful and unique combination of humor and heartache – signature Joss Whedon stuff.

And those monsters of the week usually represent something deeper going on with one or more of the characters at that point in the show. For example, in “Hush,” when everyone is getting bogged down by their own propensities for too much chatter and not enough meaningful interaction, monsters show up to steal all the voices – and by the end of the episodes it’s hard for the characters to find the words for each other.

There are a lot of literary elements in Buffy. I am sure that I will touch on them a lot more in the future. However, I also just want to emphasize how fun the show is just to watch, even without the intense engagement you feel with the characters. It’s witty, tongue-in-cheek, and timeless. If like me you judged this show by its premise, then I hope you’ll give it a shot now!

If you already love the show but don't own it, or if I've convinced you to give it a go, you can start your collection cheap on Amazon here:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The Complete First Season (Slim Set)

I am excited to see what you think about the show, or if you think I left a quintessential episode out of the list below.

Favorite Episodes:

• “Innocence” (Season 2)
• “Becoming, Part 2” (Season 2)
• “Earshot” (Season 3)
• “The Prom” (Season 3)
• “Living Conditions” (Season 4)
• “Fear Itself” (Season 4)
• “Hush” (Season 4)
• “New Moon Rising” (Season 4)
• “The Gift” (Season 5)
• “Once More with Feeling” (Season 6)
• “Tabula Rasa” (Season 6)
• “As You Were” (Season 6)
• “Selfless” (Season 7)
• “Touched” (Season 7)
• “Chosen” (Season 7)

4 comments:

  1. What about "The Body" (Season 5)? Absolutely heart wrenching, haunting and silent I am getting chills while thinking about it!

    Also, I agree that BTVS is well thought out, but once you see it as many times as I have, you start to notice the small inconsistencies that pop up. I also realize that I am a huge nerd because of this, but I am glad I have a passion! Also, you should read the Buffy comics because it continues the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I notice some small inconsistencies as well. That might be a good topic later on! I need to start taking notes as I watch so that I can remember all the things I want to talk about on here.

    And you are also right that omitting "The Body" was a big oversight. That is kind of a quintessential ep! Maybe it will get a post of its own.

    Thanks for the great comments, Hayley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely "The Body." I would also make a case for "School Hard", as I think that's the introduction of Spike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been told by so so many people that this show is much smarter and snappier than one might guess-- Someday, someday, I will finally sit down with it. All of my grad school friends-- English folks, poets, and linguists-- loved it and couldn't stop talking about it. Well, this show, and Veronica Mars of course-- which I can't wait 'til you post on! Thanks Emmy!

    ReplyDelete